Feb 10, 2021

Log Cabin Jacket






This jacket was another project for Lorraine Torrence’s Creative Clothing Class. The assignment was to create an upcycled garment. I had a strip 
of vintage wool fabric that had been hand pieced into the log cabin pattern.  It contained a variety of fabrics, wool, velveteen, cottons, etc.  I purchased it from St. Vincent’s for under $5 and mended some seams which were coming apart.  I loved the geometric look of this pattern and also the red strips which I wanted to highlight and make the piece look more modern.  I was going to incorporate this piece into a garment and then decided to see if I had a ready made garment that I could use this on.  I found a black wool jacket a friend had given me and it turned out the strip fit nicely on the right front.  I laid the piece on the garment and turned the edges under to fit.  Then I hand stitched the piece onto the garment.  I had a small piece that I cut out around the armhole and I stitched this piece on the back neckline to continue the pattern onto the back, as Lorraine always suggests.


 





No comments: